Published: 25th March 2019
Planning to study abroad? Here's why buying travel insurance is necessary
Students who decide to go abroad to study often overlook travel insurance. We break down its importance to you here
Studying abroad can be a fantastic experience. We all know that it requires a lot of preparation to get an admission in a college abroad. This is not only in terms of studies, but also there is a lot of paperwork and other formalities including admission forms to visa application that one has to go through. Amidst all this, there is one important document that we often overlook – a student travel insurance policy.
A student travel insurance policy is a type of travel insurance policy that offers protection against any kind of medical emergency that a student might face on foreign land. It’s a very beneficial annual travel plan for students going abroad for higher studies. Simply put, a student travel insurance policy provides the much-needed coverage that helps students reduce travel-related risks during their stay overseas. Here’s a list of benefits offered by a student travel insurance, take a look –
- Medical expenses: In case of an unexpected illness or injury, the policy offers reimbursement to the policyholder for the incurred medical expenses. This includes medical practitioner’s charges, hospitalization expenses, OPD, local emergency medical transportation, etc.
- Trip delays: As per student travel plan, the policyholder will get the reimbursement for the incurred expenses due to trip delays for more than 6 hours. Trip delays can occur due to several reasons such as earthquake, lightning, storm, terrorism, tsunami, volcano eruption, landslide, rockslide, floods, etc.
- Accidental death and dismemberment: In the event of accidental death or disability during the trip, the insurance company will pay off the limits as specified in the policy to the insured person’s family.
- Delay of checked-in baggage: In the event of delay of checked-in baggage for more than 6 hours, the insurance company will reimburse up to the limits that are specified in the policy such as the purchase of essential clothes, medicines, toiletries, etc.
- Loss of passport: In case of loss of passport, the policy will reimburse the expenses incurred for obtaining emergency travel documents in lieu of a duplicate or new passport.
In addition to this, student travel insurance offers hijacking benefit, personal liability, study interruption, ambulance charges, maternity benefit, etc. Besides, for those who are looking to buy student travel insurance online, go for Royal Sundaram; it offers comprehensive travel insurance plans at affordable prices.