Published: 29th February 2020
Career advice 101: Never ever hesitate to ask for help or seek professional guidance
It is hard to understand what prevents them from approaching people to seek professional guidance before making a career choice
Great careers are made when you are sure that you are on the right track, and doing something that interests you, while also being appropriate for your skills and qualification. Additionally, the prospective working environment along with the opportunities for personal, professional, economic and social advancement also matter.
To consider all this at one go requires a great attitude and perseverance on the part of the individual. While some may come through it successfully, a majority may find it difficult for various reasons.
One must remember that the professional world of work is something that has its own set of standards, quality, regulations, systems and most importantly eligibility norms. Every individual who aspires to have a strong footing in their professional life with career development has to be well-acquainted with these aspects. But the simple fact is that they are not adequately prepared to face or are not sensitised to these conditions, costing them dearly when it matters.
This could be easily overcome if the individual asks for help from experts. In all my years of experience being a human resource mentor, I have found that many among the youth, particularly the fresh graduates who are just stepping out of their respective educational institutions, are reluctant to ask for help for the sake of their career development.
It is hard to understand what prevents them from approaching people to seek professional guidance before making a career choice. In my opinion, the following points might be helpful for anybody looking for guidance in this regard:
- Asking for help is a proactive step towards your self-development.
- You can test the quotient of your abilities while asking for help, as you can cross-check them with others’ skillset and expertise.
- Hesitation on your part to ask for help may cost you a prospective opportunity. You should always muster the courage to talk to people and clear your doubts on time.
Some pointers for you:
- Not weakness: Asking for help will never be considered a sign of your weakness, don’t worry!
- Be clear: Always be very clear about what doubts you have and present them well to others
- No trouble!: You need not worry about getting someone in trouble while asking for help
- Do not hesitate to ask for help when you are confused or need that extra bit of information to enrich you