Published: 10th December 2018
How self-improvement is like regular grooming and is a necessity for career development
If there is no proper grooming, how can one expect to perform well? Isn’t that how you project a powerful aspect of the ‘self’? This is what employers seek in a placement selection process
The biggest watchword, if any, that can be attributed as a caution to the graduates aspiring towards career development is ‘complacency’. Career development can never be taken as a single step hurdle to cross; it is a long process which needs to have a solid background. Career development is macro in nature and it does not constrain learning to certain limits, but rather must be seen as a continuous process of self-improvement.
The candidates must realise that the era of automatic marks or merit-based selection process for a majority of career openings have all gone away. Times have changed. Each candidate has to prove their merit by completing a series of recruitment processes like aptitude test, written examinations, group discussions and one-on-one interviews. If one needs to emerge successfully then they must be committed to self-improvement and not resort to complacency. Most graduates are found to be caught in a web of complacency, which proves to be very detrimental to their very own future.
The process of self-improvement is like regular grooming, which is a necessity. If there is no proper grooming, how can one expect to perform well? Isn’t that how you project a powerful aspect of the ‘self’? This is what employers seek in a placement selection process.
Young graduates should ponder over the points mentioned below which focus on the self-improvement process.
• Wake up early every morning so that you accomplish more during the productive hours of the day.
• Identify your blind spots which hamper your progress and ensure that they do not limit your progress.
• Sharpen your professional skills and soft skills that will be of help in the future.
• Create a purposeful to-do list to work on areas that you need to polish for your career development.
• Never let your past performance be your best. Seek to make every new opportunity your best benchmark.
• Learn to accommodate feedback in your attitude, perseverance and hard work and strive hard to be better than you were yesterday.
• Improve yourself if you receive adverse comments from seniors at your workplace.
• Take up reading as an everyday habit and it will widen your horizon of understanding.
• Learn to face challenges that test your endurance and commitment, as it will help you to develop a positive attitude.
• Reduce wasting your time and keep yourself occupied by learning newer aspects of the professional line that you are aspiring for.
• Get acquainted with professionals who are experts in the field, since that indicates how prepared you are.
• Be a self-inspired, enthusiastic and energetic individual who is always ready to take on more responsibilities at home and in a social circle, as it would add up to the quotient of your dependability.
• Honour and value time.
• Listen to various styles and modes of communication, it will certainly be very handy for your career development.
• Stick to a routine and be as organised as possible.
• Avoid negative people and negative influence which will eventually boost your ego for all the wrong reasons.
• The best way to improve yourself is to take action on the aspects of your life that are an obstacle for your growth.
• Be conscious of your time, thoughts and actions. A consistent approach towards this would prove helpful in your self-improvement process.