Published: 23rd January 2023
Kerala: Two students of class I and II infected with norovirus; three are under treatment
It was transmitted through contaminated food, water, and surfaces, the Health Department said adding that the initial symptoms are vomiting and/or diarrhoea, head and body aches
The Kerala government on Monday, January 23 said norovirus infection, a cause of acute gastroenteritis, was confirmed in two students. The Class I and II students of a school in Kakkanad were identified as infected with the virus and three children are now under treatment, as per a report by PTI.
Giving more details, a senior medical officier of the district said 62 students and a few parents of the school exhibited symptoms following which two samples were sent for testing at the State Public Laboratory. According to WHO, norovirus is a viral illness that is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis globally with symptoms including acute onset diarrhoea and vomiting.
Speaking more, the District Medical Officer in a statement said, "The health condition of the children is stable. The Health Department personnel inspected the school which is now temporarily closed. We are holding online awareness sessions to the children and parents. The classrooms and the toilets have now been sanitised."
Did anyone suffered from this before? Last year, two children were found infected with the same virus at Vizhinjam in Thiruvananthapuram. Regarding its contamination, the Health Department said precautionary measures have been taken as the virus spreads through contaminated water and food. Further, the department said the disease is highly contagious and urged the people to maintain hygiene.
Norovirus can be transmitted through contaminated food, water, and surfaces, the Health Department said, adding that the initial symptoms are vomiting and/or diarrhoea, head and body aches, as stated in a report by PTI.