Published: 21st July 2020
Lockdown likely to not continue beyond July 22 in Bengaluru, says Medical Education Minister
Dr Sudhakar, however, said Sunday lockdown and night curfew will continue and all details related to the lockdown will be announced on July 21
The week-long lockdown announced in Bengaluru to contain the spread of the COVID -19 is unlikely to continue beyond 5 am on Wednesday. "We discussed all measures to be taken in Bengaluru and there was no discussion about the lockdown. That means the lockdown will not be continued and people can go about their normal routine as usual," Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar told reporters after Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa's marathon meeting with the ministers in-charge of eight zones in the state capital.
Dr Sudhakar, however, said Sunday lockdown and night curfew will continue and all details related to the lockdown will be announced on Tuesday evening after the CM's meeting with ministers and officers. The CM has made it clear that lockdown will not be extended, he reiterated.
"There is no question of extending the lockdown after Wednesday," Urban Development Minister Byrati Basavaraj too told The New Indian Express after the meeting with the CM.
The lockdown announced last week will end on early Wednesday morning and the CM and most ministers in charge of zones in Bengaluru are not in favour of extending it.
Basavaraj said that during the meeting, the CM took details on the availability of beds, ventilators, COVID Care Centres and other facilities in all eight zones and sought suggestions from ministers. On Wednesday and Thursday, the CM is holding separate meetings with ministers, senior officers and elected representatives (of all parties) from all zones.