Published: 27th February 2020
Mangalore University 38th Convocation: Girl students outshine boys, lead the tally with 19k degrees
Out of 6,217 post graduate students who have passed, boys account for 1,666 (26.80%) and the girls represent 4,551 (73.20%). A similar trend was also seen in the under graduate courses
A total of 29,914 candidates which include 10,537 men and 19,377 women will receive various degrees at the 38th convocation of Mangalore University to be held on February 27. V Muraleedharan, Union Minister of State for external affairs and parliamentary affairs will deliver the convocation address. Higher Education Minister CN Ashwath Narayan will also preside over the event.
Doctor of Literature degrees (Sociology) will be awarded to CN Shankar Rao and Sripati Tantri. PhD degrees will be presented to 105 candidates (Arts- 23, Science- 63, Commerce- 08 and Education- 11). There will be 34 gold medals and 120 cash prizes that will go to meritorious students Mangalore University vice-chancellor Professor P Subramanya Yadapadithaya told the press on Wednesday that a total of 42,405 candidates appeared for the examinations in 2018-19 out of which 29,914 (70.54%) have passed.
In PG courses out of 6,663 candidates who appeared, 6,217 (93.31%) have passed and out of 35,602 UG students who appeared, 23,561 (66.18%) have passed and in PG Diploma course out of 33 candidates who appeared, 29 (87.88%) have passed. Out of 6,217 PG students who have passed, boys account for 1,666 (26.80%) and the girls represent 4,551 (73.20%). Similarly at the UG level, out of 23,561 candidates who passed, 8,798 (37.34%) are boys and the remaining 14,763 (62.66%) are girls. As far as the PG Diploma examinations are concerned, out of 29 candidates who passed, 15 (51.72%) are boys and the remaining 14(48.28%) are girls.
'Muralidharan is a scholar'
To a query, the VC said there is nothing like politicians should not be invited for deliver convocation address. "He (Muraleedharan) is also a kind of scholar and you will come to know about it," he said. The VC said three names were recommended for convocation address out of which Muraleedharan was selected.
Shaheed Sthal inauguration
Shaheed Stal, a war memorial which has come up on the university premises at a cost of Rs 24 lakh will be inaugurated by union minister V Muraleedharan on February 27 at 3 pm. The VC said it is a first of its kind in university. Kargil Day and other such events will be celebrated there.