Published: 26th August 2020
Don't lose hope: Students look at Subramanian Swamy for help to postpone JEE NEET
The BJP veteran took to Twitter to reach out to the students in what seemed like a ray of hope for the protesting candidates
With the protest against holding the NEET and JEE in September still raging on social media, especially Twitter, BJP's Rajya Sabha MP and veteran leader Subramanian Swamy urged the students to not lose hope "on the exam question". Swamy had earlier written to the Prime Minister asking him to reconsider the decision to conduct the exams amid the pandemic.
Swamy took to Twitter to reach out to the students in what seemed like a ray of hope for the protesting candidates. "At this stage, I cannot guarantee anything but don’t yet lose hope on the exam question," he tweeted early on August 26. "Does the government realise holding NEET or JEE exams at this juncture favours the children of rich parents in major cities? In the last five months, the poor and lower middle class children have had no access to internet or ability to go to libraries or collective study. PM can empathise," he had written in his earlier tweet the previous night.
Along with the trending hashtags #postponeJEE_NEETinCOVID, #PostponeNEET_JEETODAY and #JEENEET, the tag #Swamyji_HelpJEENEET is also becoming increasingly popular among students who are protesting against the decision. "If our Modi Government goes through imposing the NEET/JEE exam now it will be the giant mistake like Nasbandi in 1976 that caused the undoing of Indira government in 1977. Indian voters may suffer silently but have long memories," Swamy had tweeted earlier.
But the Ministry of Education has not yet reacted to the issue yet, on the contrary, the National Testing Agency has already also announced the admit cards of the NEET aspirants will also be available soon. "On the request of the students, the JEE (Main) and NEET, which were earlier scheduled to be held in the month of July, were postponed to be held in the month of September 2020," said the statement. The statement also quoted the Supreme court order which said, "We find that there is absolutely no justification in the prayer made for postponement of the examination in question relating to NEET 2020 as well as JEE (Main) April 2020." NTA has released the admit cards of JEE after the judgement. "The admit cards of NEET will also be released shortly and the NTA has ensured that more than 99 per cent of the candidates get their first choice of Centre Cities in both of these examinations," the statement from NTA added.