Published: 04th February 2019
Bagalkot teachers force students to clean toilet, one gets electrocuted
The three teachers were suspended after the parents of the nine-year-old brought the incident to light
A student was electrocuted while turning off a water pump after he was asked to clean the toilets by his teachers at the Government Primary School at Tanikeri village in Mudhol Taluk. The three teachers were suspended after the parents of the nine-year-old brought the incident to light.
The day of the incident, January 23, the teachers forced the students to clean the toilets during school hours. After the cleaning, Basavaraj, a Class three student, who went to switch off the pump, sustained an electric shock due to faulty wiring. Fearing action, the teachers immediately rushed Basavaraj to a hospital. After they were told by the doctors that the boy was out of danger, his parents were informed.
Angry that they had been kept in the dark, the parents approached the Block Education Officer (BEO) Vittal Devangavi on Saturday evening and demanded stringent action against the teachers. Following this, the three primary school teachers Suresh Kalavagol, Vittal Tottad and Padmavathi Patil have been suspended and an investigation has been ordered.
Deputy Director of Department of Public Instruction (DDPI) M R Kamakshi directed the officials to submit a detailed report. The DDPI said, “We will take further action once we get the detailed report and we will also bear the treatment expenses of the student,” she said.