Published: 27th June 2017
As many as 6,542 MBBS applications sold on first day of issue, NEET does little damage
MBBS applications have increased this year in comparison to last year
Despite NEET, records show that MBBS application sales have not taken a hit. Sources from the Selection Committee for MBBS seats have said that a total of 6,542 applications were sold on Tuesday (July 27). In addition to these applications, 1,837 applications were sold under the management quota.
Last year, a total of 6,123 applications were sold on the first day, the application sales have risen by 419 this year. A total number of 26,313 applications were sold last year during the admission season, it is left to be seen whether there would be an increase in the numbers this year.
The point to not is that the MBBS application sales have actually risen from last year by 419 this year
The first phase of the MBBS counselling is scheduled to start on July 17. With no option but to follow NEET ranking, the Tamil Nadu government has decided to reserve 85 per cent of the State seats (reserved for students from Tamil Nadu) for students who have studied the State syllabus, the remaining 15 per cent would be allotted to CBSE syllabus students.
It was expected that medical applications might take a hit this year because NEET became mandatory across the country, making it tough for the state syllabus students whose state syllabus was not believed to be on par with CBSE syllabus. Yet, a full analysis of increase or decrease could be ascertained after the total number of applications sold are counted.