Published: 06th November 2019
Andhra Pradesh govt schools to switch to English-medium soon
Several instructions have been issued to make this transition as smooth as possible and to ensure that teachers and staff are supported through it all
All government, MPP schools, Zilla Parishad Schools and all classes from I to VII will be converted to English-medium from the academic year 2020-2021 and for classes IX and X from the academic year 2021-22. This is the latest order issued by the State Government of Andhra Pradesh.
Not leaving behind the regional language, appropriate and adequate efforts to implement Telugu and Urdu as a compulsory subject, depending on the current medium of instruction, in all the school is to be made by the Commissioner of School Education.
Further, he shall ensure the following steps for successful implementation of English-medium schools:
- Required teachers should be deployed in the school as per the staffing pattern prescribed by the government from time to time and as per pupil-teacher ratio for a single medium.
- SCERT shall take necessary action for designing and development of Teacher Hand Books, training of teachers in English-medium teaching skills and knowledge, a compendium of best classroom practices and other pedagogical material for supporting the teachers to be skilled in English-medium teaching.
- Director SCERT, in coordination with Commissioner of School Education, shall take comprehensive action for online assessment of the current English proficiency levels of the teachers, design appropriate training programmes for enchasing the English-medium teaching skills for the teachers.
- Intensive and extensive training must be ensured during the current academic year and during the Summer of 2020 for equipping the teachers to teach in English-medium from the academic year 2020-21 for classes I to VIII. Training shall be given to the teachers for improving their English -medium teaching skills in specific subjects and in general.
- Action shall be taken for reviving the English Language Teaching Centers and District English Centers (DECs) and re-locating them in District Institutes for Education and Training (DIETs).
- Director, Text Book Press, should take action to obtain correct indents and ensure supply of English-medium textbooks to the schools as per student enrolment for classes I to VIII well before the starting of the academic year.
- Keeping in view of the conversion of all schools and classes from I to VIII into English-medium, the requirement of teachers can be arrived at and proposals should be submitted to the government by the Commissioner School Education. In future, teacher recruitments, qualified candidates with the best proficiency in English-medium teaching should be recruited