Published: 06th December 2018
University of Mysore bans protests, non-academic activities on campus
In an official circular issued by Prof Rajanna, the registrar of the university, over eleven different restrictions or conditions were put on staff and students
The University of Mysore (UOM) has issued a diktat to its staff and students, directing them not to interact with the media without getting permission from the concerned authorities. Not just approaching the media, it has also insisted upon the staff and students not to hold protests within the campus for any reasons.
In an official circular issued by Prof Rajanna, the registrar of the university, over eleven different restrictions or conditions were put on staff and students. The directions issued by the university have been opposed by students and staff. They allege that the university is trying to curtail their freedom of speech.
A non-teaching staffer of the university told The New Indian Express, "By issuing such circulars, university administrators are trying to snatch our freedom of speech and to express. How can the registrar insists staff and students not to hold protests? What if the administrators are on the wrong side of the law? Who will raise voice against them?"
Another research associate said, "This is not acceptable. We will bring this to the notice of the vice-chancellor. In case if he also fails to act accordingly, we will be forced to stage a protest until this circular is withdrawn."
G Hemanth Kumar, vice-chancellor, UoM said, "These decisions were taken in the syndicate even before I took charge as the vice- chancellor. Some directions need to be modified and we will discuss the matter in the next syndicate meeting."
The copy of the circular dated November 24 was addressed to chairpersons, superintendents and other officers of the university.
The copy of the circular available with TNIE reads: "It is observed that there are several lacuna while getting permissions to organise meetings, events and other functions in the campus, To run administration, research and teaching activities smoothly, the heads of every department should follow the directions given in the circular."
- While submitting any request letters to university, the teaching and non-teaching staff must approach through the head of the respective department. No direct communications will be entertained.
- No non-academic events should be organised at the halls available at departments.
- The protocol must be followed while printing invites for department events while printing university authorities names on the invitation card.
- Teaching and non-teaching staff must take university permission before giving media statements. This applies to even research scholars and students.
- No protest/strike should be entertained within Manasa Gangotri campus. In case of such incidents, necessary action would be initiated.
- Shooting for any movie or other things will not be allowed inside the campus.