Published: 28th September 2017
In shocking incident NY teenager surrenders to authorities after stabbing two classmates during class, one dead
The shocking incident is the first to happen inside a New York city school, with the last such tragedy reported in 1992 where two teens were shot dead
A high school student who hadn't been getting along with two classmates on Wednesday attacked them
with a switchblade during history class, with at least 15 students as witnesses, killing one boy and gravely wounding another, police said.
After leaving the classroom, 18-year-old Abel Cedeno handed the bloodied knife to a school counsellor he met in the hall, then went to an assistant principal's office and quietly waited for authorities to arrive, police said.
City officials and parents have debated for years whether the school system should be installing more metal detectors or taking them away because of the stigma of attending a school deemed unsafe enough to require a weapons check
The deceased boy, identified as Matthew McCree, 15, was stabbed in the chest while a 16-year-old who also suffered injuries to the chest and side was hospitalised in critical but stable condition.
Cedeno was arrested on charges of murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, attempted manslaughter, assault and criminal possession of a weapon. Information on his lawyer wasn't immediately available.
This is the first homicide inside a New York City school since 1992, when two teenagers were shot to death in the hallway of a Brooklyn high school about an hour before Mayor David Dinkins was to visit the school to talk about violence.
Violent Vent: The boys are said to have been tossing paper at each oter before the incident
The incident happened about 15 minutes into third period at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation, a middle and high school in the Bronx that shares a building with an elementary school.
There is too much fighting, too many older boys. Look at my child, she is small, 9 years, and the other 13. ... And they're crying, wondering what is going on, and the school didn't even call me
Giselle Estevez, Mother of two girls
Students described tense moments huddled in closets and in classrooms while the school was locked down, wondering what was happening.
"The guidance counsellor couldn't even keep herself calm," said eighth-grader Abbie Mincey. The counsellor told them: "I've never seen so much blood in my life."
Authorities were looking into whether Cedeno had been bullied, but it appeared his dispute with the victims had been going on for about two weeks, Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said. They had been tossing paper at one another shortly before the stabbing, authorities said.
Angry parents, some in tears, gathered outside the school demanding they be allowed to pick up their children. Parents said they were forced to wait for hours in fear
The school, attended by about 1,100 students, is not one of the roughly 75 schools in New York's million-student system that requires children to pass through metal detectors. City officials and parents have debated for years whether the school system should be installing more metal detectors or taking them away because of the stigma of attending a school deemed unsafe enough to require a weapons check.
She hasn't been here for a month yet. I don't know if I want to keep her here, I just don't know
Denise Jackson, A Student's Mother
Deadly violence inside city school buildings is rare, though there has been violence outside, on school property. In 2014, a fight between two 14-year-old boys ended with one stabbed to death outside a Bronx school.
Chief Joanne Jaffe, head of the police department's community affairs unit, said officers would do random security sweeps of all schools for the time being.
Giselle Estevez, the mother of 9- and 13-year-old girls, said she'd seen violence at the school before and this latest attack was the final straw. She plans to pull her daughters out of school.
"There is too much fighting, too many older boys," she said in Spanish. "Look at my child, she is small, 9 years, and the other 13. ... And they're crying, wondering what is going on, and the school didn't even call me."
Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina said they were saddened by the attack and understood the fear parents would have. They planned to visit the school on Thursday to meet with staff. Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina said they were saddened by the attack and understood the fear parents would have. They planned to visit the school on today to meet with staff.